;

Dec 08 2021

Winter safety for pets

GENERAL WINTER CARE

  • Try to walk your dog during daylight hours. If it is dark, make sure you and your dog can be seen by using LED collars, high-vis clothing etc.
  • Older dogs or those with thinner coats may appreciate a warm coat.
  • Provide a litter tray inside for your cat, even if they usually go outside.
  • Keep small pets like mice and hamsters away from cold draughts.
  • Consider shelter and extra bedding for rabbits, guinea pigs and ferrets.

SALT AND GRIT

This can irritate your pet’s paws, wash their feet if they come into contact with it.

ANTIFREEZE

Ingestion of even small quantities of antifreeze is often unfortunately fatal. Cats are most susceptible, licking from puddles or from their paws. Be sure to keep antifreeze away from pets (and children) and mop up any spills. If you see your cat ingesting antifreeze seek veterinary attention immediately.

Cats will often shelter under cars in cold or wet weather, so check before you start.

CHRISTMAS DANGERS

There are lots of things around to tempt our pets at Christmas time.  Unfortunately some of the foods and decorations we like to have at this time of year can be harmful to our pets…make sure you keep your pet safe and avoid an unwelcome visit to the vets!

Foods to avoid giving your pet 

  • Chocolate.
  • Grapevine fruits (grapes, raisins, sultanas and currants) i.e. mince pies, Christmas cake and Christmas pudding.
  • Christmas lunch – a sudden change in diet or a big meal of rich food can cause a nasty tummy upset. In particular avoid fatty foods or table scraps, bones from the turkey, onions, artificial sweetener (xylitol) and nuts.

Poisonous Plants

The main house-plant to be aware of is lilies.  Ingestion of even a small quantity of lily pollen in cats can cause kidney failure.  It is vital to seek urgent veterinary treatment if your cat has ingested any part of a lily plant.

Mistletoe, Holly and decorative Ivy can cause tummy upsets if lots is eaten.  Eating Ivy can cause more serious symptoms in rabbits.  Poinsettia has a reputation for being toxic, but this is generally not the case; drooling and tummy upsets may occur if large quantities are eaten.  It is a good idea to keep these plants out of reach.

If your pet has eaten something they shouldn’t have, phone us for advice on 01803 606059. 

greenbayvets | Greenbay Vet News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Pet Health Library

Greenbay Vets is pleased to provide a library of professionally written articles updated by veterinary experts.



Greenbay Vets Ltd. Registered in England and Wales. Company No: 9023357

Pet Health Checker

Use our Pet Health Checker tool to help you decide if your pet's symptoms require immediate attention.


Registered office Greenbay Veterinary Surgery, 34 Walnut Road, Torquay, TQ2 6HS

Make an Appointment

We are happy to book an appointment for you! Quickly and easily schedule an appointment time that is convenient for you and your pet.