;

Conkers and acorns – harmful to dogs?

By October 1, 2019 Greenbay Vet News

We all know that some dogs will eat almost anything! Unfortunately this can get them into trouble.

At this time of year, some dogs will have a munch on acorns or conkers. Some dogs seem to get away with this without any problems, but it can cause gastrointestinal problems including:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea (which may have blood in it)
  • Sore tummy
  • Inappetence
  • Lethargy

It is also possible for more serious problems to occur e.g. obstruction of the bowel, and there have been reports of allergic type reactions with acorns e.g. swelling of the lips or around the eyes.

Severe cases of poisoning after ingestion of acorns or conkers in dogs is very uncommon, and the outcome is generally good, although prognosis is more guarded in dogs with obstruction.

In the case of vomiting and diarrhoea, we can provide supportive treatment to dogs to help them feel better.

If you are worried your dog has eaten something they shouldn’t, or is unwell, give us a call on 01803 606059 (Torquay) or 843836 (Paignton).

Leave a Reply