Fireworks season is coming up – are you and your pet prepared?
Fireworks can be extremely stressful for your pet. Many dogs and cats are affected by the loud bangs. Dogs may run, hide, tremble, pace, pant, refuse to eat or even try to escape to help themselves cope. Cats may also run away, hide and refuse to eat.
Unfortunately fireworks aren’t just on the 5th November and can last until New Year. To help support your pet during the fireworks season there are some simple changes you can make. Preparing early can make a big difference to your pet, so we recommend you start to make plans in early October.
Things you can do to be prepared:
- Build your dog a den – if your dog already has a safe place they run to when they are anxious, then build the den there. Otherwise build it in a snug area and cover it with blankets and bedding. If you have a cat, give them plenty of elevated hiding places.
- Try to walk your dog when it is still light as fireworks tend to begin as soon as the sun goes down.
- Use an ADAPTIL diffuser for dogs or FELIWAY Classic diffuser for cats – plug this in 2 weeks before you expect the fireworks – this will help create a calm atmosphere before the fireworks begin. Keep these plugged in until after New Year.
On the night:
- Close all windows, doors and curtains.
- Lock your cat flap – this will ensure your cat isn’t able to run away if they become scared.
- Distract them – give your pet a chew, a toy or play a game with them.
- Turn on the TV or play music to muffle the sound of the fireworks.
If you would like more advice please pop in and see us – we have lots of knowledge and many other top tips that are able to help you and your pet.
We also stock ADAPTIL for dogs and FELIWAY for cats and currently have an offer available:
- Buy a Feliway Classic Diffuser and receive a Feliway Classic 60ml Spray PLUS a Cat Carrier Cover FREE!
- Buy an Adaptil Calm Home Diffuser and receive a 60ml Adaptil Transport Spray FREE!
Pop in and see us to find out more.