; Skip to main content

Springtime Pet Dangers

By March 13, 2023 Greenbay Vet News

As Easter approaches, please remember about the dangers of chocolate consumption in pets!  Every year we see at least one unfortunate dog who has consumed a dangerous amount of chocolate – many will eat the packaging as well! Dark chocolate is particularly toxic.  Make sure you keep Easter eggs well out of your dog’s reach.  If your pet has consumed chocolate, don’t delay in contacting us – prompt treatment can be very effective. We will need to know what type of chocolate they have eaten and how much.

Other spring-time dangers to be aware of are:

  • Hot cross buns – raisins, currants, sultanas and grapes are potentially toxic.
  • Slug bait – this can cause serious problems if a dog ingests the pellets.
  • Daffodils – the bulbs are the greatest risk, but all parts of the plant are toxic.
  • Lilies – lilies are highly toxic to cats, even if they simply lick pollen off their paws

Again, if you know your pet has ingested something they shouldn’t have, don’t delay in seeking advice from us on 01803 606059.

Leave a Reply