; Skip to main content

Pet travel from 1st Jan 2021

By December 17, 2020 Greenbay Vet News

As predicted, the rules surrounding pet travel to Europe will change on 1/1/2021, as the transition period ends.

Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) will become a third country from 1 January 2021.

In the EU Pet Travel Scheme, there are 3 categorisations of third country:

  • unlisted
  • Part 1 listed
  • Part 2 listed

Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales), including the Channel Islands and Isle of Man, will become a Part 2 listed third country under the EU Pet Travel Scheme from 1 January 2021. This means that a current EU pet passport issued in Great Britain will NOT be valid for travel to the EU or Northern Ireland from 1 January 2021.

Before your dog, cat or ferret can travel to the EU or NI for the first time after 1 January 2021, you’ll need to take the following steps. These steps are similar to the current process for taking your pet to the EU, but you’ll need an animal health certificate (AHC) instead of a pet passport.

  1. You must have your dog, cat or ferret microchipped.
  2. Get your dog, cat or ferret vaccinated against rabies – your pet must be at least 12 weeks old before it can be vaccinated.
  3. Wait 21 days after the primary vaccination before travel.
  4. Visit us to get an AHC for your pet, no more than 10 days before travel to the EU. 

Getting an animal health certificate (AHC)

You must take your pet to see a vet no more than 10 days before travel to get an AHC. The AHC needs to be signed by an official vet – most of our vets are ‘official vets’, but please let us know the reason for your appointment when booking.

You must take proof of:

  • your pet’s microchipping date
  • your pet’s vaccination history

Your pet’s AHC will be valid for:

  • 10 days after the date of issue for entry into the EU or NI
  • onward travel within the EU or NI for 4 months after the date of issue
  • re-entry to GB for 4 months after the date of issue

Your pet will need a new AHC for each trip to the EU or NI.

Full details can be found on this website.


Leave a Reply